HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Why a saint

September 28, 2013

Several people have asked me how I ended up with a Saint Bernard lately. So I figured the story was one worth sharing.

Eons and eons ago, when I was about 7, I had a lab mix named Bernie. I had always been a “dog” person. All of those seven long years. But Bernie was different. He was my baby. I still, to this day have a scar on my leg from a bite he gave me when he was a puppy. Beyond those early labby puppy years though, he was my baby. He Celebrated when I was happy, comforted me when I was sad. He was more than a pet to me. He was my buddy. My confidante, my body pillow.

When he was dying, with kidney failure, we had him at home. The vet told my parents to watch him, that he might recover. I remember that look in his eyes. I remember being so young and telling my mom that his spirit was gone.

After he passed, my mom and her friend took me to a dog show. And my gosh there was the most beautiful Saint Bernard there. And all I can remember thinking, in my child’s eye, was, “he’s like a saint Bernie!” And I told my mom THAT was the dog I wanted , to which she responded “over her dead body would we get a 200 lb dog” my mom was very vocal to say the least.

Part of me thought of the neatness of immortalizing my beloved childhood BFF, part of me was absolutely mesmerized by the beauty of the breed. To the point that when I met my husband, one of the first questions I asked him was if he liked dogs, and what about big dogs? 😀

I honestly can say that was a dealbreaker lol.

Lucky for me, my soon to be husband loves dogs, all animals really, maybe even more than I do. And for my 30th birthday he surprised me with the most beautiful puppy I’ve ever seen.

Don’t get me wrong. I love ALL dogs. Mixed breeds, pure bred, rescued, etc. I GET the push to rescue. As an animal lover how could I not?

Anyway, now, here I am, 20 years later, looking at my “Bernie” in the same way I looked at him two decades ago. I just want him immortalized. Because he’s one of the best things that’s ever happened to me. He makes me happier than I ever thought I could be. He’s the best big brother a kid could have had. And I just hope that someday I get another. “St Bernie” that lives up to this childhood dream.

7 Responses to “Why a saint”

1. rica55 said:

I absolutely love this story SO much. <3 Saint Bernie is looking down on you and is Chuck's guardian angel for sure.

Love it Lori, totally understand why going with a puppy. Which I know will make some mad when I say when I get another one it will be a puppy not because I can’t rescue but because of having bosch and not knowing how he would react to another big dog coming into his home and having my brother’s 2 children here. So I totally get it.
    I love the story behind Chuck. 🙂

Michelle & Angel Sassy

3. Taylor said:

Great story! There is nothing wrong with wanting a purebred puppy. They need love too. They just come into this world with a silver doggie bowl where as the others have to look a little harder for it. I have a purebred show dog and a rescue so I know both sides and there is nothing wrong with either. Sounds like Bernie had a wonderful life, but I know it’s hard without him.

Lori! That’s beautiful! Thank you for taking the time to share this.

And I like the new banner at the top! Chuck is such an adorable bunde of love.

I’m so glad he’s doing well. it just amazes me how far you bothhave come on thid journey! A whole lot of love and devotion going on over there!

I love your comment about should Chuck not be loved just because he was bred! Good line!

I had a Bernie too! He passed in October at home with me (and a caring vet) at 13. I actualy think somewhere in his DNA he maynhave had a touch of “Saint” in him! Bernies are pretty special, hun?

Thanks again Lori. Ice to have a “warm fuzzie” today. And give your hubby a pat on the back for us…..ne’s a good boy!

Much love to all!

5. k8mignano said:

Lori

What a wonderful story! I love that you never changed your mind and eventually got your saint Bernie.

Never underestimate determination.

Kate and Yasmin x

6. Dakota Dawg said:

You were a very wise and empathetic child. You were also persistent and determined! Over your mom’s dead body just meant you would wait. The part of the story you left out that I want to hear is what your mom said when you got Chuck. Did she remember the dog show and her comment?

Determination, persistence and wisdom are all needed in our world. Chuck’s glad you are all of them as he needed those qualities from you.

Shari

• lorimomofasaint said:

Lolol unfortunately my mom got her way. My hubs got me chuck not too long after she passed. I’m pretty sure I could here her saying “I told you so” when wet brought him home lol. My mom had a way of always getting what she wanted lol 😉 she would have loved him though 🙂